How Do Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS) Work?
Battery energy storage systems (BESS) provide much-needed versatility and flexibility for a wide range of power generation applications. By incorporating BESS batteries into critical infrastructure, energy providers can integrate power from variable sources such as solar and wind energy, while ensuring a steady, continuous flow of power to customers on the grid. As renewable energy moves into the spotlight, battery storage technology is being upgraded to improve performance, enhance energy efficiency, and reduce costs. BESS systems provide useful and timely solutions for everything from large-scale utility and industrial energy supplies to smaller household and off-grid energy storage.
Battery energy storage systems (BESS) are rechargeable battery systems that store energy to supplement usage during times of low energy production or high usage. BESS are typically composed of a battery, computerized battery management, an inverter or converter, and an energy source such as a solar panel, wind turbine, or electrical grid.
BESS systems pull energy from the source in the form of DC energy. That energy is stored in a battery in the form of AC current which can later be tapped for residential, commercial, municipal, or industrial use. AC voltage stored in BESS can be used to power industrial equipment, lighting systems, home appliances, manufacturing facilities, and more. BESS equipment is manufactured with a wide range of battery capacities for different uses. The greater the capacity of the BESS battery, the greater the amount of energy that can be absorbed, stored, and released for use.
Intelligent battery technology uses the latest software and algorithms to track power production and optimize energy usage. Based on this data, energy is released from the battery during times of high usage, thereby reducing energy demand and eliminating expensive peak charges.
Most Common Types of Battery Energy Storage Systems
Battery energy storage systems are manufactured with a variety of battery designs, depending on their intended use, energy sources, and required capacity. Some of the most common BESS designs include:
- Lithium-Ion Batteries: The vast majority of high-volume BESS use lithium-ion batteries. They are highly versatile and can be used for both large-scale power grid applications and smaller-scale items like electric vehicles and consumer electronics.
- Lead-Acid Battery: Lead-acid battery systems are an established and inexpensive solution typically used in automotive, industrial equipment, and commercial power storage due to their temperature-resistant characteristics.
- Nickel-Cadmium Batteries: Ideal for low-temperature settings, nickel-cadmium batteries are extremely stable and inexpensive, and they can be manufactured in a wide range of designs and configurations.
- Sodium-Sulfur Battery: Sodium-sulfur batteries provide high power for long periods, and are especially resistant to extreme operating conditions. Their long service life and low cost make sodium-sulfur batteries ideal for use in wind farms and other renewable energy storage applications.
- Flow Batteries: Flow batteries, also known as redox batteries, store energy in a liquid electrolytic solution that moves between multiple cells. They are valued for their scalability, cost-efficiency, and long service life.
Battery Energy Storage Systems from Module X Solutions
Module X Solutions offers an extensive selection of superior-quality power conversion solutions for our customers in the renewable energy sector. We specialize in the design, engineering, and manufacture of domestic and international power conversion stations for solar projects. With decades of experience, our highly skilled team of electrical engineers create quality solutions for even the most complex large-scale energy storage and conversion operations.
The MXS team aims to produce outstanding battery energy storage solutions for our customers in every industry. We are capable of conceptualizing, designing, engineering, and building quality, custom BESS solutions to fit both new and retrofitted containers.
Through our partnership with leading solar generator and microgrid product manufacturer Mobile Grid, we are pleased to offer state-of-the-art juiceBOX products. Mobile Grid’s juiceBOX solar generators and microgrid products are engineered for adaptability and are incorporated into a variety of industries and applications, from telecommunications to oil and gas and even off-grid power sourcing. Highly versatile juiceBOX products can be integrated into other MXS BESS systems for effective, cost-efficient energy solutions tailored to your needs.
Contact our Experts Today!
Whether you need BESS technology for your home solar grid or a comprehensive large-scale BESS for a municipal power grid, MXS has the knowledge, experience, and technology necessary to design and manufacture the perfect energy storage solution. Reach out to our experts today to learn more about our BESS technology or request a quote for your next project.