Protective Building Design Elements
Module X Solutions designs and manufactures blast resistant buildings in petrochemical facilities with safety and protection as the guideline for our protective building systems.
- ASCE 2010 2ND Edition Design of Blast Resistant Buildings In Petrochemical Facilities
- API RP-752/753
- NFPA 496 – Electrical Classification
- NFPA 70 – NEC
- IBC 2012
The fundamental blast design parameters:
1.Blast Over Pressure (*measured in psi-pounds per square inch)
- Free Field Over Pressure is the increase in ambient air pressure due to a blast event.
- Free Field Over Pressure is measured in open space.
- This means that an 8 psi free field overpressure blast event will increase the ambient air pressure, which is about 14.7 psi, to 22.7 psi. This increase is instantaneous and devastating.
- The time from initial change in pressure to return to ambient pressure.
- Positive phase is the build-up of pressure to the elevated level.
- Negative phase is the return from the elevated pressure back to the local pressure.
ASCE provides for three damage responses for practical blast engineering:
*MXS’s standard blast resistant module designs are engineered with safety at the forefront.
Our over engineered structures provide a higher/stronger threat resistance over our competition in order to ensure the safety of the habitants and minimize potential liability that could arise due to unforeseen anomalies, calculations, and/or design requirements.
Additionally, our team ensures that the building(s) designs and solutions, are TDLR compliant by incorporating these design criteria requirements. MXS’s structurally superior protective building line sets us apart in the industry and is designed to combat vapor cloud explosions, which are common threats in petrochemical facilities. Our modular solutions provide the highest levels of protection and security for personnel and equipment, with a range of designs and layouts which consist of single, multi-module interconnecting, and large clear span units.
The quality and customer service experience associated with our solutions create a unique product offering that is the finest in the industry. Our clients are the recipients of highly and properly engineered solutions supported by a dedicated and experienced team. Constantly focused on product integrity and continuous improvement, MXS’s top priority is to provide our clients with solutions that protect their most important assets.
MXS can provide standard or specialized/customizable products in order to fit your requirements. Blast resistant or non-blast resistant all welded designs are available. Solutions can be built per specifications and our team members are willing and excited to assist in the design, specification creation and/or qualification process. We have partnered with many customers on specialized building projects and because of our extensive design, engineering and manufacturing capabilities we can provide and incorporate any number of options into your project.
Structural and Other Optional Protective Building Design Criteria
- Ancillary solutions- (Blast resistant doors, Blast resistant windows, Vision pane doors (windows incorporated)
- Blast containment
- Air filtration designs available
- Ballistic and FEBR
- Classified electrical equipment for Hazardous Locations
- Fire rated designs available
- Fire suppression
- Flexible oversize building size availability (*only limited by transportation options)
- Gas Detection
- Multi-threat designs avaiable
- Multi-module (mechanically fastened) designs available
- NFPA 496 standard for purged and pressurized enclosures
- Pressurization (NFPA 496)
- Safe haven designs available
- Single module building
- Smoke and/or Fire Detection
- Stackable modules (multi-level complexes)
- Thermal designs available
- Toxic gas release
- Vapor cloud explosion solutions (fresh air stack)
- Vestibule solutions
Competitive Advantages of an Module X Blast Building
Mechanical Fastening System
Improving the flexibility and installation of blast resistant buildings in petrochemical facilities
Module X Solutions utilizes proprietary building technology to increase overall customer value by an improved design of blast resistant buildings. The patented mechanical fastening system we incorporate into our product line, streamlines and drastically reduces the installation process for blast resistant modular buildings.
The traditional method of installing these buildings involves a more expensive and time consuming welding process. This proprietary solution allows our customers to have more flexibility, while controlling field installation costs, reducing site insurance liability, and increased speed of deployment of a fully integrated engineered solution.
The mechanical fastening system benefits:
- Significant reduction in deployment time, resulting in lower installation costs
- Faster occupancy with less site disruptions
- No hot work permits or painting required
- Flexibility to relocate complexes and to scale buildings for future reconfigurations and/or addition
- Engineered to provide the same blast protection as a welded building
When compared to the traditional welded method of installing a 24’ x 40’ complex, mechanical fastening offers approximately a 7 to 1 reduction ratio in installation time. Therefore, in less than the time it takes to weld the interior and exterior seams, a building with our mechanical fastening system can be completely installed and occupied.
X-GAP (Deformation Barrier)
Our proprietary X-Gap Deformation Barrier engineered solution is the safest and most protective design in the marketplace. With the X-Gap, our clients receive an added level of safety for occupants and/or equipment inside of the structure. The X-Gap prevents equipment, furniture, and other objects inside the modular building from becoming projectiles during a blast event.
“Protecting you against the secondary effects of a blast.”
Many blast resistant building providers do not provide complete protection from an explosion; they simply provide protection from the blast overpressures. It is vital that consumers understand that blast engineering does not consider projectiles or flying debris, it only incorporates the effects of blast overpressures.
Module X Solutions has a standard for projectiles that can be applied to any building we manufacture. Additionally, we can provide new projectile engineering for any unique design requirements.
Benefits of an MXS Protective Building
- Safer and more secure interior environment
- Compliant, properly designed and engineered solution(s) by multi product and multi industry veterans and 3rd party validation
- Competitively priced
- Cost savings realized as a result of propiertary design installation advantages
- Liability mitigation because of proprietary standard design elements
- Flexible and knowledgeable resources to ensure successful implementation
- Experienced quality assurance team that implements best practices and continuous improvement
- Ops Shelters
- Control Rooms
- Permit Buildings
- Change Rooms / Restrooms
- Lunch Rooms / Break Rooms
- Labs with Fume Hoods
- Water Labs
- Process Buildings
- Guard Houses / Security Buildings
- Truck Scale Buildings
Standard Building Product
- 12×20, 12×40, 14×40 modules
- Application Specific Buildings
- Building sized to meet your requirements
- Single-Module and Multi-Module
- Mechanically fastened/bolt together multi module designs
- Welded steel building envelope
- Anchored or Sliding (un-anchored) options
- Anchored for Blast Loads
- Anchored for Environmental Loads
- ISO-CI-5 Corrosion Resistant Coatings
- Flexible floor plans
- Suspended or open ceilings
- Vinyl-Covered Drywall, Plywood, FRP
- VCT Flooring
Additional Building options
- Rubberized-flooring, steel-plate
- Storage Cabinets
- Computer flooring